Monday, May 24, 2010

Smile your on not so candid camera!

Recently the Board of Director's authorized the installation of a surveillance system at the condos that I manage. This system has been in place for a few weeks now and we have placed signs at all of the entrances to the pool that there are camera's. We also placed a sign at the entrance to the restrooms to try and make sure people see it (you are supposed to shower before going swimming, it is an ordinance from the health department). These camera's were installed because of the number of problems we have had at the pool and hot tub over the last several years and are intended to help us cut down on the after hours access, help us figure out who is causing problems and to aid in the response to complaints.

To help cut down on after hours access the video is reviewed every morning to see if anyone was using the facilities after hours. Sunday morning I was reviewing the video like I always do and found a couple that arrived around 1 am. Now when keep in mind that each gate has the rules posted on it, it also has a sign that states the hours of the facility and that the area is under video surveillance. This couple proceeded to use the hot tub anyway and proceeds to engage in some "inappropriate conduct." Because of their actions and the fact that they were there after hours I intended to issue violations and possibly temporarily suspend their right to use the facilities so I continued to watch try and identify who the persons were.

As I am watching the replay the male party turns and looks either at the camera's or at the sign by the restrooms stating that the area is under surveillance. He even points out something to the girl who is with him and they talk about it. In the video it looks like they are looking directly at the camera's or at least at the sign. I even went so far as to go and sit were they were and look at the same head angle they had to try and see what they were looking at and all I could see was the camera's and the sign. This couple then proceeded to take off all of their clothes and engage in some "other acts." As soon as I saw him taking his clothes off I stopped the playback and called the Police.

Two Officers responded and came and met me at the office in the complex. We then had to review the video so they could see what had occurred and determine what crimes had been committed. I then walked the officers to the residence of the person who lived in the complex and they made contact with the individual. This part always makes me laugh because the people always try to lie their way out of part at least part of it.

Officer: "Can you come outside and talk to us please?"
Man: "Sure." Shuts the door behind him as the smell of pot wafts down the stairs. "Is something the matter, I mean is there something I can help you with?"
Officer: "Were you in the hot tub last night?"
Man: "Yes"
Officer: "About what time?"
Man: "Oh, it was pretty late. Like maybe 2:30 am."
Officer: "Why were you there after the facility had closed?"
Man: "I haven't lived here very long and I wasn't really cognizant of the rules and didn't know what time it closed."
Here's a quick note to those of you who want to lie to the cops. If you are going to lie, make your lies plausible. Have a reaction more like, "I was? What time does it close?" Also it's hard to make that type of lie when the fact is that to open the gate you used to enter there is a sign with the hours about 6 inches from you.
Officer: "How long have you lived here?"
Man:"Oh, about a month and a half."
Officer: "Did you roommate ever talk to you about the rules of the complex?"
Man: "Um, yes?"
Officer: "Ok, what were you doing while you were at the hot tub?"
Man: "Uh," Long pause. "Oh, um..."
Officer: "Let me ask you this, were you aware there are security camera's down there recording what takes place?"
Man: "There's what? Um..."
Officer: "Ok, here's what's going on. The manager has the whole thing on video and we have seen it. You are going to be charged with lewdness and lewd acts. Let me see your ID and I will go write you your ticket. Is the female who was with you here?"
Man: "No, she's not here."
Officer: "What was her name?"
Man: Tells the officer her name.
Officer: "What's her last name?"
Man: "I don't really know."
Officer: "Do you have a phone number for her?"
Man: "Yes."
Officer: "What is it?"
Man: "It's in my phone, I don't really know it."
Officer: "Well go get your phone and your ID. We are going to need to contact her since she will be facing the same charges you are."
Man: "You will? Why?"
Officer: "Like I said, she will also be facing charges and we will need to give her citations to appear in court as well. Now I need you to go get your ID and your phone so we can get her number."

This man's roommate (the owner of the condo) knows we have camera's because I caught him down there after hours with his dog one night. The hot tub was closed so he didn't have the chance to do anything and I had just given him a verbal warning. In establishing that he had been there though I had told him I had him on camera. I have spoken with the owner of the condo and he tells that he had told his roommate there were camera's as well as the hours of the hot tub and pool.

The whole thing makes me laugh in some ways. It was so blatantly stupid. Apparently when the officer spoke with the girl she told the officers that he had told her it would be ok because they owned the condo. She also told the officers that she was really embarrassed. Really?! No duh!

Oh the stupidity of others.

1 comment: